Designing of organic synthesis: Protection and de-protection of hydroxyl, amino, carboxyl,
ketone and aldehyde functions as illustrated in the synthesis of polypeptide and
polynucleotide, enamines, Umpolung in organic synthesis, Reterosynthesis.
Principles and applications of asymmetric synthesis: (24L)
stereoselectivity in cyclic compounds, enantio-selectivity, diastereo-selectivity,
enatiomeric and diastereomeric excess, stereoselective aldol reactions. Cram’s rule,
Felkin Anh rule, Cram’s chelate model, Asymmetric synthesis, use of chiral auxiliaries,
chiral reagents and catalysts, asymmetric hydrogenation, asymmetric epoxidation and
Basic understanding with hands-on training of the various chromatographic
Paper and Thin layer chromatography (TLC)
Gas Chromatography (GC)
High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
Gas Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS)
Liquid Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry (LC–MS)
- Teacher: tambat nazia NA
1. Structure and stereochemistry of Hardwickiic acid, Camptothecin and podophyllotoxin
2. Synthesis of i) Taxol ii) Estrone and Mifepristone iii) Juvabione (K.Mori and Matsui, Pawson and Cheung Synthesis) iv) Fredericamycin A
Biogenesis – The building blocks and construction mechanism of
1. Terpenoids – Mono, Sesqui, Di and Triterpenoids and cholesterol
2. Alkaloids derived from ornithine, lysine, nicotinic acid, tyrosine and tryptophan.
3. The shikimate pathway – cinnamic acids, lignans and lignin, coumarins,
flavonoids and stilbens, isoflavanoids and terpenoid quinones.